Monday, October 18, 2004

jill's distributed meme

in a recent blog post, jill mentioned that a descriptive phrase she'd formulated a few months back - distributed narrative - is now returning a thousand or so search results from google:

There’s something rather fascinating about how a term can grow. I bet I had something to do with it, but quite possibly I simply happened to use a combination of words that was sort of ready to emerge from the primordial soup of our brains. Perhaps I’d even heard the term somewhere - I couldn’t find it on Google, but it might have slipped into my mind from somewhere.

it works perfectly and yes, there is something natural about the term. but as we've been using "distributed media" to describe the instruments of narrative construction and distribution for a while now, "distributed narrative" doesn't seem like a huge jump to make.

but trust jill to locate the precise moment this cultural shift occured - she really is the queen bee of blogging.

No comments: